One of the methods of determining an organizations approach to its business is to evaluate its workplace organization capability & visual management standards.
5S engages people through the use of 'Standards' and ‘Discipline'.
It is not just about housekeeping, but concentrating on maintaining the standards & discipline to manage the organization - all achieved by upholding & showing respect for the Gemba [workplace] every day.
The 5 Steps are as follows:
- Sort: Sort out & separate that which is needed & not needed in the area.
- Straighten: Arrange items that are needed so that they are ready & easy to use. Clearly identify locations for all items so that anyone can find them & return them once the task is completed.
- Shine: Clean the workplace & equipment on a regular basis in order to maintain standards & identify defects.
- Standardise: Revisit the first three of the 5S on a frequent basis and confirm the condition of the Gemba using standard procedures.
- Sustain: Keep to the rules to maintain the standard & continue to improve every day.
Benefits of 5S workplace organization
5S relates to workplace organization and forms a solid foundation upon which many organizations base their drive for continuous improvement. It is equally applicable & successful in all sectors helping to achieve high impact results.
It is a systematic and methodical approach allowing teams to organize their workplace in the safest and most efficient manner.
The discipline to check & repair equipment is included & adopted. The entire process is managed through the use of team generated audit documents, completed on an agreed frequency by responsible owners within the Gemba.
- Improved safety
- 5S becomes a fundamental business measure & key driver for Kaizen
- Forms a solid foundation upon which to build continuous improvement
- Employees gain a sense of ownership, involvement & responsibility
- Reduction in waste – as defined by Ohno’s seven forms of waste
- Improved performance in productivity, quality & morale leads to increased profitability
Sự kiện sắp tới
Liên hệ với chúng tôi:
Kaizen Institute Vietnam
97 Dang Dung Street, Tan Dinh Ward,
District 1, Ho Chi Minh City,
Tel: +84 28.6884.9648
Europe / Middle East / Africa
Zug 6300 Switzerland
Tel: +41 (0) 41 725 42 80
Fax: +41 (0) 41 725 42 89
North / Latin America
7137 East Rancho Vista Drive B11
Scottsdale, AZ 85251 USA
Tel: +1 888 464 3622
Fax: +1 480 320 3479
Kabuto-cho Dai-ichi Bldg, 3F
5-1 Nihonbashi Kabuto-cho
Chuo-ku, Tokyo 103-0026
Tel: +81 (0) 3 5847 8245
Fax: +81 (0) 3 5747 7901